Sunday, February 17, 2013

Entry 6- I'm Getting Out of Here

First of all, after a long discussion, the landlord agreed to let me move up to the third floor. I got to meet Melanie and Dwayne. Nice people. But the thing is, I moved up two floors so I could be safer. I was not any safer than I was on the first floor.

I was busy unpacking the last of my things. I had only a couple of belongings, mainly books and office supplies, and I felt like I was going to find more peace and quiet because of my move. That quiet, if there was any, didn't last.

I heard heavy footfalls down the hallway. I tensed up a little, then as I heard it softly pad along I began to relax. It went past my apartment- 3A- and kept going towards Dwayne's apartment. I sighed and went back to my unpacking. Then I heard the door open, and then I heard Dwayne's scream- shrill, high, ear-piercing, one that's going to haunt me for a long, long time, finally dwindling down to a gurgle. Then I heard dog's whimpering, and then pawpads heading towards my door. I backed my fully packed box against the door and then headed over to the other end of my apartment and waited. Finally, after what seemed like hours, the pawpads died away. I was also worried.

Why wasn't anyone calling the cops or something? Melanie went to the movies with Douglas, apparently, but Wyona, Harry, or Frank should have heard something. Should have heard anything. I decided to risk it.

Slowly, I pushed the box away from the door. For a long time I just stood there, looking at the door. Occasionally I put my hand to the doorknob, then I took it away. Finally, I was able to open the door, knowing that I was potentially opening the door up to some violent creature with no means of self defense. To my relief, there was no creature right outside my door.

Then I saw Dwayne's body. I could only recognize it as Dwayne by the fact that the torn, battered shirt that was ripped in half, matched the shirt I saw Dwayne wearing earlier today. There was no way a normal dog could have done what it did to Dwayne. I remember the stench- putrid and metallic, blood mingling with the intestines splayed on the floor. I stepped cautiously past and looked into Dwayne's apartment, fearing to see some kind of weird creature inside. There wasn't any. I saw the bloody pawprints leading to the broken remains of the window. I looked out the window and saw a few more pawprints veering off into the cornfields.

I went downstairs and told the landlord. The landlord stayed up all night, calling the sherriff's station, informing next of kin, and waking up the other tenants. Melanie and Douglas came back later tonight. Frank's talking about leaving the apartment, and, frankly, I'm thinking about getting away as well. I feel like getting out as soon as I possibly can. I should have gotten the message with the rabbit's corpse, but I didn't, and now I can't sleep. I don't want to be caught sleeping if that... thing... comes back.

No comments:

Post a Comment